News | Deutschland Tour | Vuelta a Espana • August 28, 2022
Aysuo climbs to 5th in Vuelta overall standings
In Germany, Formolo closes in 10th place
Juan Ayuso’s shining star continued to burn in the uphill finish of the 9th stage of the Vuelta a Espana, the 171.4 km Villaviciosa-Les Praeres.
The Spaniard of UAE Team Emirates crossed the line in 6th position, 2’08 “from the winner of the day Louis Mentjes (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert) after a 10-man breakaway formed after 50 km of the race, but notably Ayuso was the best behind the red jersey Remco Evenepoel (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl) in the fight between the GC men.
The climber of the Emirati team reached the finish line, to the short climb with severe slopes (3.8 km at 13% on average), 34 “behind the Belgian, gaining seconds on the other big names of the race: 10 “over Enric Mas (Movistar), 12” over Carlos Rodriguez (Ineos-Grenadiers) and 18 “over Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma).
João Almeida also climbed a position, now 7th at 4’32 “.
With today’s performance, Ayuso will head into the rest day in 5th place in the general ranking, 2’36 “from Evenepoel.
The Vuelta will resume on Tuesday with a 30.9km individual time trial from Elche to Alicante, featuring a flat course.
Ayuso: “Today I had much better sensations than yesterday. I was not sure if the final ascent would have been suitable for me, as I have never faced many of these uphill finishes in a race situation at this level, but everything went well. Here at the Vuelta I’m going day by day and trying to appreciate everything I am experiencing. I’m looking forward to the rest day for sure tomorrow.”
Vuelta a Espana – order of arrival 9th stage
1. Louis Mentjes (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert) 4:32:39
2. Samuele Battistella (Astana) + 1’01 ”
3. Edoardo Zambanini (Bahrain-Victorious) + 1’14 ”
6. Juan Ayuso (UAE Team Emirates) 2’08 “
Vuelta a Espana – general classification after the 9th stage
1. Remco Evenepoel (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl) 34:02:32
2. Enric Mas (Movistar) + 1’12 ”
3. Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma) + 1’53 ”
5. Juan Ayuso (UAE Team Emirates) + 2’36 “
7. João Almeida (UAE Team Emirates) + 4’32 “
The Deutschland Tour ended with an eventful stage (186.6 km from Schitach to Stuttgart) which fragmented the group and led to the stage success of Pello Bilbao (Bahrain-Victorious), with Davide Formolo 6th.
The Italian of UAE Team Emirates got in a group of 10 7 km from the finish, at the last GPM of the course which stayed clear to the final.
The final general classification sees Formolo climb three positions and finish 10th place, 1’14 “behind the winner Adam Yates (Ineos grenadiers).
Deutschland Tour – 4th stage
1. Pello Bilbao (Bahrain-Victorious) 4:11:19
2. Ruben Guerrero (EF-EasyPost) s.t.
3. Goerg Zimmermann (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert) s.t.
6. Davide Formolo (UAE Team Emirates) s.t.
Deutschland Tour – final general classification
1. Adam Yates (Ineos Grenadiers) 16:54:56
2. Pello Bilbao (Bahrain-Victorious) +22 ”
3. Ruben Guerrero (EF-EasyPost) +44 ”
10. Davide Formolo (UAE Team Emirates) + 1’44 “