News | Giro d'Italia • October 15, 2020
McNulty thrives in hard wet day in Cesenatico
American 6th on the stage and now 11th on GC
Brandon McNulty edged another step closer to breaking into the top-10 at the Giro d’Italia with a fine 6th place on stage 12.
The 12th stage of the Giro d’Italia (Cesenatico-Cesenatico, 204 km) was won from the breakaway, with Jhonathan Narvaez (Ineos-Grenadiers) winning solo at 1’08’’ ahead of his breakaway companion Mark Padun (Bahrain-McLaren) who suffered mechanical trouble inside the final 10km. UAE Team Emirates were represented in the early move by Maximiliano Richeze, who later drifted back to the peloton.
McNulty now jumps up two positions to 11th place at 2’39’’ from race leader Joao Almeida (Deceuninck-Quickstep).
McNulty : “It was a good day out. The rain made it a bit miserable and there was never really an easy moment in the race. The pace was tough and the field just got smaller and smaller. It was nice to take the bunch sprint to get another top-10 result.”
The 13th stage will start from Cervia and will end, after 192 km, in Monselice.
Stage 12 results
1. Jhonathan Narvaez (Ineos-Grenadiers) 5:31:24
2. Mark Padun (Bahrain -McLaren +1’08”
3. Simon Clarke (EF) +6’50”
6. Brandon McNulty (UAE Team Emirates) +8’25”
General classification after the 12th stage
1. Joao Almeida (Deceuninck-QuickStep) 49:21:26
2. Wilco Kelderman (Sunweb) +34’’
3. Pello Bilbao (Bahrain McLaren) + 43 ”
11. Brandon McNulty (UAE Team Emirates) + 2’39 “