News | Tour de Luxembourg • September 13, 2022
Trentin just off the podium in Luxembourg
Fourth place for the Italian who takes bunch sprint
The Tour de Luxembourg started with a stage of 163.8 km with start and finish in Luxembourg which saw Matteo Trentin place himself just off the podium: the Italian of UAE Team Emirates won the sprint 8 “behind lone winner Valentin Madouas (Groupama- FDJ) and a few seconds behind Sjoerd Bax (QuickStep-Alpha Vinyl), 2nd place, and Clément Berthet (AG2R Citroen), 3rd.
The peloton pulled back the six escapees of the day at -11 km, with Madouas jumping away at 1600 meters from the finish with the right timing, to resist the chasers.
Trentin: “On the penultimate climb we worked well as a team, setting a good tempo. On the last stretch, however, I did not follow the attacks, choosing to wait a little to see the evolution of the situation, and then just as we were coming back to the group off the front Madouas made his move and no one could follow. We miss-timed it a bit but the legs are there to do something good this week.”
The second stage, from Junglinster to Schiflange over 164.3 km will be suited to the puncheurs with hilly terrain.
Stage 1 results
1. Valentin Madouas (Groupama-FDJ) 4:00:25
2. Sjoerd Bax (QuickStep-Alpha Vinyl) +3 ”
3. Clément Berthet (AG2R Citroen) +7 ”
4. Matteo Trentin (UAE Team Emirates) +8 “
General classification after stage 1
1. Valentin Madouas (Groupama-FDJ) 4:00:15
2. Sjoerd Bax (QuickStep-Alpha Vinyl) +7 ”
3. Clément Berthet (AG2R Citroen) +13 ”
4. Matteo Trentin (UAE Team Emirates) +18 “