News | Coppi e Bartali • September 2, 2020
Ulissi 4th in uphill sprint at Coppi e Bartali
Italian continues purple patch with another top-5
Diego Ulissi continued his consistent run of form with a 4th place finish on the uphill battle on stage 2 of the Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali (2.1) behind winner of the day, Andrea Bagioli (Deceuninck-Quickstep). The Emirati squad shared the workload with the Belgian team for much of the day between Riccione to Sogliano al Rubicone (166.5k), before the puncheurs moved clear on the final incline.
Bagioli now takes over the lead in the overall classification with Ulissi the best places of UAE Team Emirates in 5th place.
Ulissi, who has accumulated over 15 top-10 performances already this year now heads into the final two days eager to build on today’s result.
Ulissi: “ The team worked well today and kept me in a good position but I ran out of steam a bit on the final climb. We still have 2 stages left here to do something. I wasn’t quite 100% today but my form generally is very good so I’ll be looking to the next stages.”
Tomorrow will see the riders start and finish in Riccione (168.9k) on an undulating parcours with a flat run-in.
Stage 2 Results:
1. Andrea Bagioli (Deceuninck-Quickstep) 4h21’58”
2. Jhonathan Narvaez (Ineos Granadiers) @1″
3. Nicola Conci (Trek Segafredo) @1″
4. Diego Ulissi (UAE Team Emirates) @1″
General Classification after stage 2:
1. Andrea Bagioli (Deceuninck-Quickstep) 6h44’46
2. Jhonathan Narvaez (Ineos Granadiers) @13″
3. João Almeida (Deceuninck-Quickstep) @16″
5. Diego Ulissi (UAE Team Emirates) @30″